Thursday, January 13, 2011

Losing Steam

So I am about five months in to my year long project and I think I've hit the winter slump. I started off this adventure all bright eyed and bushy tailed, excited to climb some trees and arrange some flowers. And while I thought this project would bring a lot of life to my challenging emotions of a year, I didn't realize how much work it would be. Not just to identify goals and obstacles to overcome, but to find places to volunteer and carve out time in my already chaotic schedule to make the time.

I work part time, care for my kids and try to spend as much time with my husband that his schedule allows. That being said, I find that the only times I can squeeze in time for my projects are either very late night when the hubby is home and thus I am spending time away from him that could be a "date night" or during my workable hours when my responsibilities are on the lighter side. Time I should be seeking additional professional tasks and pushing my professional opportunities to the extreme, as well as bringing in my much needed financial contributions to our dual family income.

So here I am, trying to find alone time when I can actually go out, without taking time from family/spouse time and work time. Isn't this everyone's challenge or is this just a working mom thing? I would sometimes rather just take a hot bath and get into bed early but that's not at all what this year is about.

So I have to collect my thoughts, plan my calendar like a madwoman and make time to fit this all in. In addition, I need to identify some additional projects to fill up the months to come. I have a few ideas (whitewater rafting and public speaking) but I need more ideas. Some of these may come about as I am working through one month but I welcome your ideas and suggestions or connections for a place to volunteer. I would love to learn how to professionally bake or cook, perhaps work at a battered woman's shelter or serve food at a food bank. I also have this strong desire to visit New Zealand and Australia... how I'm going to fit that in with two kids under the age of three is beyond me but perhaps there is a local club of Kiwis I can meet with and learn about their culture (and secretly start planning a trip)....

Those are my thoughts for a windy winter Thursday. Ebbs and tides are normal in a long project like this but I need a rejuvenation to see I am almost halfway through and yet still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment